|World War II|
Clockwise from top left: Chinese forces in the Battle of Wanjialing, Australian 25-pounder guns during the First Battle of El Alamein, German Stuka dive bombers on the Eastern Front winter 1943–1944, US naval force in the Lingayen Gulf, Wilhelm Keitel signing the German Surrender, Soviet troops in the Battle of Stalingrad
Soviet Union (1941–45)[nb १]
|Allied leaders||Axis leaders
|हताहतानां सङ्ख्या हानिश्च|
Over 61,000,000 (1937–45)
Over 12,000,000 (1937–45)
द्वितीयविश्वयुद्धं विश्वस्तरीययुद्धम् अस्ति।
- West Point Maps of the European War
- West Point Maps of the Asian-Pacific War
- Radio News From 1938 to 1945
- World War II Propaganda Leaflet Archive
- The Art of War Online Exhibition at the UK National Archive
- Deutsche Welle special section on World War II created by a German public broadcaster on both the war and the world 60 years after.
- 23 August 1939, the USSR and Germany sign non-aggression pact, secretly dividing Eastern Europe into spheres of influence. USSR armistice with Japan 16 September 1939; invades Poland 17 September 1939; attacks Finland 30 September 1939; forcibly incorporates Baltic States June 1940; takes eastern Romania 4 July 1940. 22 June 1941, USSR is invaded by European Axis; USSR aligns with countries fighting Axis.
- After the fall of the Third Republic in 1940, the de facto government was the Vichy Regime. It conducted pro-Axis policies until November 1942 while remaining formally neutral. The Free French Forces, based out of London, were recognized by all Allies as the official government in September 1944.
- The territory of the Kingdom of Egypt was effectively in the war since since Italy's invasion of Egypt in 1940 from Italian Libya, with British forces fighting Italian and later German forces, however Egypt only officially declared war in February 1945.
- Like Egypt, Syria was effectively in the war before its official declaration in February 1945. Syria sought to secede from control by Vichy France in 1941, and was assisted by British forces, after the victory over Vichy French forces. Free France accepted Syrian independence in September 1941 however formal independence was not granted until 1943, while British forces controlled the territory. Syria re-entered the war in February 1945.